Sunday, May 3, 2009

Symbols

As it's Constitution Day in Japan today I was going to write some vague and rambling post about nationalism in Japan, but I might leave that for another time. Instead, I'd like to post up this picture which I took about a month ago:



Due to the prevalence of Buddhism in Japan it's not at all uncommon to see the swastika symbol in various forms, most typically an omote-manji (anti-clockwise swastika) on temple decor or on traditional clothing (dancer from Awa Odori), and Western people in general seem to be aware of such a usage. Although for many foreigners here it's still a mild surprise to see an angled ura-manji (clockwise swastika) such as the one above adorning people's clothing, motorbikes, accessories, etc., identical to that used by the Nazi Party of WW2 Germany. Clearly there isn't the same stigma attached to this particular type of swastika in Japan as there is in the West; if this student shown above were to walk around in particular countries he would no doubt face threats and intimidation, and in Germany and Austria, would be arrested for doing so.

So, I guess I'm asking anyone reading this as to whether it's acceptable for the youth of Japan to use the angled ura-manji as a fashion statement? Or whether it shows a sort of ignorance or contempt for historical events?

Although having said all that, due to the fact that the swastika (and numerous other noble and powerful symbols dating back thousands of years) were misappropriated by the Nazis there is a sweet irony of sorts in seeing something like this happen. Admittedly I am also perhaps guilty of trivialising such symbols due to having clothing/accessories/CDs/paraphernalia featuring the Iron Cross, Nordic runes, the Soviet hammer and sickle, and even the symbol of the DPRK's Korean Workers' Party. However, I certainly wouldn't bring my ushanka nor my USSR flag to Japan!

Perhaps it just comes down to a relativism of sorts - Australia is/was quite removed from communism and its effects (aside from the nonsensical "fear of communism" business in the 40s and 50s) yet has a relatively high population of people who were adversely affected by Nazi Germany, hence the strongly negative reactions to a symbol such as a swastika. I'd be happy to be corrected on this if I'm wrong, but I believe Japan could be considered to have the inverse of this situation.

I was also going to make mention of the Rising Sun Flag in contemporary Japan and the West, but I think this post has gone on for long enough. :)

3 comments:

  1. I was surprised.

    One design of clothes had the various history and was reminded of it by you when there were a lot of ways of thinking about it.

    One's diary was very childish and thought that I must do my best.

    I am sorry in clumsy English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. いいえ、よしふみさんは英語が良く使える!:)

    最近オーストラリアで旭日旗のデザインがある衣服をよく見られる。何と思う?日本で見たら、同じ意見?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Ash! And thanks ZRX400, for commenting on Ash's excellent post. I agree with ZRX400 about the high quality of what Ash has written. On the other hand, I also agree with Ash that ZRX400 is doing well too.

    This is a good topic for discussion. Religious symbols also seem to be used as fashion statements in Japan.

    ReplyDelete